The Arran Single Malt selected for The Bothy was initially matured in first-fill ex-Bourbon barrels before being transferred for secondary maturation into smaller quarter casks also made of the finest American oak for a minimum of 18 months. This process produces far greater contact between the whisky & oak and a faster, more intense maturation. The end result is a full-bodied expression of The Arran Malt combining power and finesse full of rich vanilla sweetness and bold peppery spice. Bottling at natural Cask Strength without chill-filtration or artificial colouring of any sort presents this whisky in its purest form. Small casks would have been a common feature of the Arran whisky trade in the eighteenth & nineteenth centuries as they were easier to handle and transport around the island. With The Bothy we proudly bring this tradition back to life.
KEY POINTS ABOUT THIS BOTTLING:
* Multi-Vintage release of The Arran Malt
• The Bothy is a limited edition of the Arran Malt which pays homage to the use of small casks which would have played a large part in the Arran whisky trade in the 18th & 19th centuries.
• Limited Edition of 12,000 Bottles Worldwide.
• Bottled at Natural Cask Strength 55.7% abv.
• Matured in First-Fill ex-Bourbon Barrels before being transferred for secondary maturation into smaller quarter casks also made of the finest American oak.
• Non Chill Filtered & No artificial colouring.
COLOUR: Old gold with straw yellow lights; welcoming as a fire’s warm glow through bothy windows.
NOSE: A warm and comforting aroma greets the nose. Sandalwood spice and smells of the outdoors; sweet malty barley and damp oak. Aromas of waxy lemons, melting cane sugar and a hint of cocoa promise intense and complex flavours to follow.
PALATE: A luscious, sweet mouthfeel adheres to the palate as a kick of red chilli heat arrives and starts to warm. Distillery character shines as fresh pineapple and green apples with stalks attached come to the fore. Toasted brioche and vanilla ice cream give a round quality to this dram.
FINISH: A floral note at the start of a finish which lingers on the palate as tangy citrus notes develop to make the mouth water, bringing the flavour full circle; inciting another sweet sip.